Marian’s First Ever Arts and Humanities Career Fair Brings Students to Global Opportunities

Julia Akre, Reporter

The Exchange hosted its first job and internship fair for Humanities and Global Studies students on Thursday, Feb. 23 in the Alumni Hall. The fair hosted many organizations local to Indianapolis.  

Twelve organizations registered for the two hour session, ranging from non-profit organizations such as the YMCA, to governmental entities such as Indy Parks and Recreation, and two museums including the well-known The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis. The Archdiocese of Indianapolis also set up a table to promote Totus Tuus, a summer program of Catholic evangelization. 

The Exchange kickstarted the pursuit to bring in more diverse career opportunities fully last semester. This year it connected with Adrianna Ernstberger, Assistant Dean of the School of Global and Cultural Studies, at the beginning of the year to create a career fair catered to the new global studies major and humanity students. 

Many of the organizations at the event offered leadership and study abroad opportunities for anyone who is interested. 

“We are hoping to start a Peace Corp certificate program… which would guarantee students a spot in the Peace Corp once they’ve completed it,” Ernstberger said. 

Peace Corp had a table at the event and is geared to those who wish to spend two years abroad doing work for a variety of communities. 

Jenny Morris, Executive Director of the Exchange, said the employers at the event are looking to hire students who possess a certain skill set and are not focused on majors.

“So many other skills students get within our liberal arts program are the very same skills employers are looking for,” Morris said. “Things like communication, critical thinking, problem-solving, a strong work ethic.” 

The aim of the fair, according to Morris, is for students to get an internship, or a job or to build connections with employers and network no matter the major of the student. 

“I fully believe any student could go to any career fair and get something out of it,” Morris said. “There are so many employers hiring for a skill set that I think our libel arts students are fantastically qualified for.”

Some students, however, are still finding career fairs difficult. 

Timothy Hosford, religious education and english major, described his experience as both parties talking at one another about themselves and forgetting to build a connection. The talks are strategic and focused on seeing if you would fit at the company and not about trying to get to know this person.  

Stephen Sulka, english major, attended the event and also expressed his difficulty with finding opportunities catered towards his goal of finding a writing-focused job at career fairs. 

The Arts and Humanities fair is part of the career fair series hosted by the Exchange. Other fairs include the recently past Nursing Roundtables, STEM fair, Behavioral and Social Studies Fair.

Pan Liu

Two upcoming fairs include the Behavior/Social Sciences Grad Fair, on March. 15 at 9:30 a.m. at Norman 222, and the Career & Internship Fair on March 22 at noon at the Hall of Champions.