Phoenix

The Student News Site of Marian University

Phoenix

Phoenix

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Getting Creative with New Resources

exc-6065453b5a6eba7d94e9f6c8
exc-6065453b5a6eba7d94e9f6c8

By Lindsey Rousseau

The power to be creative can be life changing. It is important to have tools that promote this. At Marian University, there is a constant push to get better at this. The most recent change to campus in regard to this is the Marian University Communication Center in the basement of Clare Hall.

Throughout the last year, the space for communication resources for students has expanded greatly.

Leah Williams is actually one of these expansions. Williams was hired on as the Communication Center Director at the beginning of the fall 2020 semester and has added so much to the space with new ideas.  

After previously teaching, Williams enjoys getting to work with students that have utilized the new resources. She mentioned that bringing a creativity tool to education can greatly improve what a student is able to learn.

In the Communication Center, students can now use a studio space to create both video and audio content such as vlogs and podcasts. There is also a computer lab filled with downloaded software, such as the Adobe suite, to work on any sort of media curation. Additionally, students will now be able to rent materials like cameras to work on their creative projects outside of the space.

Williams explained that students are simply required to email her at [email protected] to reserve any of these spaces or use any of this equipment to get creative.

For those familiar with the Communication Center, the resources already established will remain located in the same space. The Speaking Studio is one of these places.

Hadley Hawkins, a senior consultant at the Speaking Studio, has been part of the program since 2019 and cannot say enough great things about the new expansions.

She stated that it “gives an extra resource that is unique.”

She also mentioned that it is crucial to have tools to improve public speaking and communication skills through creative processes like what Marian University has done with the Communication Center.

To make an appointment with the Speaking Studio, students can go to marian.edu/speakingstudio for more information.

Being creative to learn is important. The Communication Center will continue to evolve to meet students’ needs to be creative and have the ability to learn by experiences.