Phoenix

The Student News Site of Marian University

Phoenix

Phoenix

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Has COVID Changed the Future of Internships?

exc-6077709e8431ad473261ff25
exc-6077709e8431ad473261ff25

By Makayla Walke

Thousands of students have lost valuable time during their college career to obtain and grow in internships due to COVID-19. While internships serve as an important opportunity for students to gain hands-on experiences, it looks like more and more businesses are leaning towards continuing the virtual hands-on approach throughout the future of their internships.

Allison Kuehr is the Assistant Director at IndianaINTERN.net, an online job board for internships around Indiana. Kuehr said that in a recent survey IIN conducted, businesses around the state are “utilizing a virtual opportunity for internships and might be leaning towards more “hybrid” opportunities in the future.”

It was even said that when business goes back to how it was before the pandemic they will continue to utilize the virtual and in-person opportunities. Kuehr said that these virtual and hybrid internships allow for both the company and the student to have more flexibility while still gaining unique learning opportunities.

Megan Esterline is a junior at Marian University and has had experience with the hybrid approach during her latest internship. Esterline said she enjoyed the flexibility of working virtually but prefers to be in the office.  Esterline also said that she would do another hybrid internship and appreciates that some businesses are going to continue to offer that option.

While COVID might have changed the plans for students around the world, the future for more internship opportunities both virtual and in-person are on the horizon. As companies continue to navigate being successful during a pandemic it is promising to see that many are prioritizing the success of students around the state.