Marian University Student Workers

As a student who has only worked at the Writing Center on campus during the school year, I was curious to hear about other students’ working experiences, whether it be on campus, off campus, or both. I interviewed six students, which meant two from each category. When it came to the interviews, I was mainly interested in hearing the students’ opinions on the advantages and disadvantages of their place of employment, especially those who do both.

On-campus:

1. Name, major(s), graduating class year

Maya Quandt, Graphic Design, Class of 2020

1. Place of work and title if applicable

Starbucks barista

1. How long have you been working there?

Since August 2018 (about 7 months)

1. What are some of your daily responsibilities?

Creating and serving drinks/food, giving recommendations, preparing for the next day, and keeping everything clean!

1. What are some of your favorite parts about working on campus?

I love being so close to work, and I get to know other students I wouldn’t normally interact with!

1. Are there any disadvantages to working on campus?

Honestly, there isn’t anything I can think of.

Ragan Williams, Psychology, Class of 2021

The Writing Center: tutor and member of the Student Leader Board

At the end of this semester, I will have been at the Writing Center for a year and a half, as I started over halfway through my freshman year. However, I began as a tutor coordinator and have since transitioned into being a tutor.

I do a lot of boss-type of work as a member of the Student Leader Board. Basically, I’m required to be adaptable and meet some of the higher profile needs. This can include helping tutors emotionally if a problem arises, working to solve problems quickly, event planning, really anything. As a tutor, my job is less complicated but still very enjoyable. I get to collaborate with people who bring in writing that they are working on. This can involve brainstorming, formatting, editing, anything really.

I like the convenience and the sense of community. Some of my closest friends are from the Writing Center, and it is easy to be around them both at work and after work. Plus, I know how to use the Writing Center very well, which gives me an advantage with schoolwork since I can make appointments so much easier and all of that.

Not really, besides the ones that are unavoidable. No matter what, you run into a few awkward situations with people you might know on the campus. However, there’s no one on campus that I don’t get along with to the point that it’s ever unpleasant, and learning to work with people you might struggle getting along with is fantastic for developing skills in the workplace. 

Off-campus:

Rebekah Radloff, Spanish and Communication, Class of 2021

Studio Movie Grill, Server

3 and a half months

I am responsible for taking orders from guests when they come into theaters. I also run food and drinks.

1. What are some of your favorite parts about working off campus?

One thing that I love about working off campus is the people that I have met through this job. I have made some amazing friends working here who I never would have met otherwise. The place that I work is on 86th St., which is around a bunch of different places, so I have easy access to many restaurants and stores. 

1. Are there any disadvantages to working off campus?

Working off campus means that I am really busy all the time. I work 4 days a week. Even though I work mainly on the weekends, I sometimes work during the week, which means I have to communicate with my managers far in advance about conflicts. On-campus employers are more understanding of conflicts than off-campus ones. Also, specifically, the day that we had classes canceled because of the cold, I was still required to be at work.

Alana Wilson, Business Management, class of 2021

Topgolf, Caddie Shift Lead and ACE trainer 

I’m coming up on a year in May! 

• Customize guest experience by creating moments that matter; establishing personal connections with guests and associates
  • Lead the caddie department within venue, collaborate with managers to assess needs for the shift, and facilitate closing procedures
  • Facilitate and market recruitment events, train new associates upon hire, and assess ongoing performance
  • Educate new associates on company culture, steps of service, safety and technology classes

I love working off campus because I get to know so many new people and build my business and leadership skills. I have also gotten to know people at Marian that work at Topgolf that I would’ve never met on campus.

The traffic is probably the worst part. Losing weekends and time in the evenings for homework and friends is also a big disadvantage. 

Both:

1. Name, major, graduating class year

Ally Laake, Political Science, Class of 2020

1. Places of work and titles if applicable

Resident Assistant at Marian University

Relocation Services Intern at The International Center 

Children’s Program Coordinator at Miracle Place 

1. How long have you been working at each place?

It is my second year as an RA

I just started my internship in January at The International Center 

I have been working for the children’s program at Miracle Place since the beginning of November 2017

1. What are some of your daily responsibilities at each job?

As a resident assistant, I work to cultivate community on my floor. As a result, I check in and work to spend time with my residents. I work to stay up to date on program planning as well as work with my RA staff to build community in the residence hall and ensure that our residents are getting the resources they need to thrive. 

As an intern in the relocation services department, I help to find housing and childcare for expatriates moving to Indianapolis. I am responsible for updating the daily client coordination sheets to make sure that everyone in the department knows what needs to be done for each incoming client moving here. I typically update information that will be handed to clients, create their welcome packages, and work with their COPE cultural training program to help clients adjust to the American lifestyle. 

Miracle Place is a community center where I help run the children’s program. This includes helping the kids with homework and coordinating fun activities with them. We also help to carry out snack time and work to achieve our goal of providing each of the children special attention by spending time with them and making sure their needs are being met. 

Working on campus allows me to form connections with people I wouldn’t otherwise get the chance to interact with. I love that it gives me the opportunity to be a part of another community on campus and that it is also a catalyst to forming more communities and bonds with the people I interact with on a daily basis because of the job. The resident assistant job itself gives me the opportunity to see the behind the scenes aspects of running a campus, and I get to meet and work with so many people who are working tirelessly full time to give the students here the best college experience possible. 

Working off campus has helped me to make new connections in the Indianapolis area. This has been especially helpful to me since I am not originally from Indianapolis. Working off campus has also given me the opportunity to learn about a lot of amazing organizations and all the good they are doing for our city. I really appreciate the people and the opportunities that I’ve received through these off-campus connections and have no doubt that they’ll continue to grow. 

1. Are there any disadvantages to working on campus? Off campus?

Living where you work can be difficult at times. There is no doubt that the advantages of working on campus outweigh the disadvantages, but finding a boundary between work duties and personal life can be hard at times. This biggest disadvantage of working off campus is that it means less time on campus with the friends and community that I’ve built here. 

1. Name, major, graduating class year

Mackenzie Foye, Religious Education, class of 2022

Aeropostale – role model

Saint Monica School – after school program

Office of Admissions – Student Assistant; receptionist

Office of Admissions – Student Ambassador

Aeropostale- 9 months

Saint Monica – 2 months

Office of admissions – 6 months

At Aeropostale, my jobs are to greet customers, straighten up the store, and run the cash register. I am the lead sales person on cash wrap of my store.

At Saint Monica, I work with the pre-school students who need after-school care while their parents are working. I play with the kids and try to make their extra hours at school more fun.

As a student assistant in the Office of Admissions, I answer calls and insert prospective students into the Marian database.

As a student ambassador, I give tours to prospective students and their families.   

I love getting to meet future Knights, talking about my experiences on campus, and meeting some of the staff members I wouldn’t know otherwise.

Working off campus has given me a lot of experience in the professional world, especially with crazy work hours during Black Friday and the Christmas season, self-motivation to work, and creating a sense of unity with people I do not fully know. I have been able to form friendships at work that are based on mutual experiences, long shifts, and funny memories.

I think a disadvantage to working on campus is fitting work into my busy schedule. With taking 19 credits this semester and working multiple jobs, my hours during the workday at Marian are limited. However, my supervisors are very willing to work with my schedule.

Working off campus adds an extra element of scheduling conflicts. Since I work at Aeropostale in my hometown, it is very difficult to go home to pick up a few shifts, and since their work does not revolve around college schedules, it can be hard to find shifts that work for myself and my boss.

For on-campus jobs, students enjoy the convenience factor and getting to interact with a wider campus audience. There are few disadvantages to working on campus, but as Williams explained, sometimes an awkward or uncomfortable situation may take place and because Marian is a small campus, you are likely to run into that person again. Off-campus jobs come with drawbacks such as managers not being accommodating for scheduling and having to commute. However, the benefits of working off campus allow students to get to know other communities and make new connections.