Phoenix

The Student News Site of Marian University

Phoenix

Phoenix

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Gaining Awareness on Mental Health for College Students

Mental health matters retro t-shirt design. (n.d.). Vecteezy. https://www.vecteezy.com/free-vector/mental-health-matters

Living on campus and going through Mental health issues has always been a struggle for college students. Mental health on college campuses is a critical issue that affects students’ well-being, academic success, and overall quality of life. Most students on campus struggle to go to counseling, given no choice but to take anti-depressants, or they simply just bottle it up.

Most students lack the knowledge and awareness of the importance of mental health is mind-boggling. Even with the counseling services provided at Marian, most people are still not aware of the options they have when it comes to Mental Health resources. 

Something that could be done to maybe improve this problem would be to provide mental health training to faculty, staff, and resident advisors so they can recognize signs of distress in students and offer appropriate support and referrals. If the teachers understand and can cooperate with students whether it be with assignments, attendance, or just knowing when a student is overwhelmed, that could potentially save a student. Another way people could gain awareness or maybe get the help they need is to make sure every student knows about the counseling services provided on campus. 

There are many ways students can be affected by their mental health while living on campus. But it is all about whether or not students are getting the help, the awareness, and the resources they need.