Working and Studying Full-Time

Tuition cost is a vital component when choosing a school, but proper financial support can help. According to the Marian University’s website, tuition is $35,000 per semester. As of now, room and board can increase to as high as $45,960. Over 99% of Marian students receive financial aid to help cover the costs. Grants and scholarships provide vast help for students attending our institution.

“All the grants that I qualified for helped immensely!” freshman Jasmin Mendoza, said.

“Grants and scholarships have very much contributed to me attending school here,” senior Alyssa Chartrand said. “Without them, I would probably just be at Ivy Tech or Indiana University South Bend.”

Taking out loans are another option when applying for financial aid. Students pay loans back with the remaining tuition money owed. While maintaining their studies, students may simultaneously hold a job. Working opportunities are just one strategy students use to prepare for debt after graduation. Working on or off campus is another consideration for students. Mendoza is working two off-campus jobs.

“In order to pay off this debt, I am currently working two jobs that will help me avoid taking out any more loans,” Mendoza said.

Chartrand also works. She is employed on campus in the Marian University Writing Center.

“The way that I operate to try to afford school is by working as often and as much as I can,” she said. “I spend 10-15 hours a week or more at my Writing Center position.”

During school breaks, Chartrand works off-campus for more hours.

The responsibility of working while in college may bring the probability of time clashes. Working too late could leave little time in an academic schedule.

“In all honesty, work does take away a great deal of time that could be put towards my studies,” Mendoza said.”And because of that I have to settle for less hours of sleep to get most of my work done or sacrifice an assignment or two.”

Chartrand is in a similar situation.

“I have found that most of my work remains in the confines of my establishment,” Chartrand said. “I have limited work that I will take outside of it. Nevertheless, the extra hours I spend there, I feel, often takes away from other schoolwork and extracurriculars that I am involved with.”

Taking on the responsibility of work and being a student will have its share of problems. Finding a proper balance could take time or it could fall into place. Either side can ultimately affect an individual’s daily schedule, and that is without an unforeseen event getting into the mix.