Work-Life Balance

Photo by Josefa nDiaz on Unsplash

Bella Simons, Reporter

Many students at Marian must juggle both school and work.  This can create stress, which leads to burnout.  EDU Med.org describes burnout as occurring “when you face chronic stress over an extended period of time, manifesting in apathy, fatigue, detachment, and lack of interest in academics.” While working and balancing school, avoiding burnout is important.  It can lead to certain symptoms in college students, such as decreased motivation, and lower academic performance, as well as losing interest in social activities. Taking care of your physical and mental health can help with burnout.

Megan Esterline, a senior majoring in Business Management, works in the HR office on campus for ten hours a week.  She is currently taking fourteen credit hours and says that her job does not affect her schoolwork.  Esterline said that she is fortunate to have bosses that are fine with her juggling school and work, allowing her to cut hours to balance school.  With school, she has experienced burnout, especially during COVID.  She added that things can get monotonous.

Bailee Laux is a junior majoring in Secondary Education and English. She works at the library, as an RA and as a tutor through the Writing Center.  She is currently taking 18 credit hours. Laux said that last semester, she was juggling 18 credit hours, participating in Marian’s theater production, and working two jobs; this led to burnout.  She fell behind in classes and stopped communicating well with her professors and supervisors.  Her advice when dealing with burnout is to talk to professors about getting an extension or changing the assignment. She advises people to be upfront when experiencing burnout.  Most professors understand and are willing to work with students who are struggling.

When asked if her job and schoolwork cause her stress, Laux said that while it could, it is not currently.  She has a clear set of rules for herself.  “I have to make sure I am not working too much,” she said. “And that I am not working at absurd times because otherwise, it would heavily affect my schoolwork.”

Laux said that her personal life is affected by her jobs on campus, saying it interferes with her schedule, which makes it hard to hang out with friends. It can also affect her sleep.  She said that it is possible to close the library at midnight and open it at 7:30 am.  She says that while everyone who works there tries to avoid it, work can mess with sleep.

Last semester, Laux felt overwhelmed due to school and work.  To combat this, she now tries to make sure all her classes are in the morning.  She recommends 16 credit hours to anyone with a job.  Laux said that when giving availability, you need to save some space for free time, where you can sit and do nothing. For Laux, she is done with her obligations at 7:00, because she believes that free time is healthy.  She also encourages finding a hobby, such as painting or crafts.

Some students, when stressed, have found ways to cope with their responsibilities on their own. Nate Rodenburg, a junior studying Secondary Education and History, works in the Speaking Studio for ten hours a week, while taking 17 credit hours. He said that his job does not impact his schoolwork. He gets his homework done in between Speaking Studio appointments.  He encourages getting schoolwork done at work, provided that it is allowed.  Rodenburg has experienced burnout at Marian.  When he gets stressed out about school, he generally goes for a walk and takes a break.   He advises those suffering from burnout to get what they can done.

If you are suffering from burnout, you might want to contact the Counseling Office, at [email protected], and/or work on lightening your schedule.