MU Golf Wins Big

Photo by: MUKnights.com

Tristan Grider, Sports Columnist

The Marian Golf team came out victorious after a tough weekend in the 2023 Crossroads League Men’s Golf Championship in Laconia, Indiana.  The Knights came in clutch to come back from an 11-stroke deficit against the six-seeded Taylor Trojans.  Taylor fell into Bogey trouble and the Knights led by sophomore Brandon Heffner captured their first team championship since 2015.  Heffner shot a near-perfect final round (70) which awarded him the individual medalist award.  His medal cemented him in Knight history as the 11th Knight to medal for Marian Golf.  He is the youngest Knight to medal since 2010 and everyone back at Marian is very happy and excited with the sophomore’s result.  Heffner and his teammate, freshman Weston Ogden were honored on the All-Tournament Team.  Ogden shot a 78 in the final round and ended 5th overall in the tournament.  

“It was a great team victory!” said sophomore Samuel Slaughter.  “We have worked so hard all season and now we are going to Nationals, baby!”  Slaughter finished 13th overall after carding a strong 85 in the final round.  He ended the weekend with a 234 overall.  Slaughter was visibly excited post-victory and exclaimed that he could not wait for the Knights to take on NAIA Nationals in Mesa, Arizona.  “Brandon was big for us, Wes too, just a great day to be a Knight.” 

Other highlights for the Knights include Luke Beetz who came back from a rough triple-bogey start and ended 6th overall and Patrick Guymon who made the Top 20 in his final Crossroad Tournament appearance.  If you want to support the Men’s Golf team, check the MU sports website or the NAIA National Championship site.  The site will release future plans for the event in a few days!  Congratulations on such a huge accomplishment.