Marian Puts on Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

Marian University Theatre’s Fall production this year is Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. This show reveals the story of an underdog: Joseph’s brothers are jealous of him because he is the favorite in his family, and they sell him into slavery. He works hard and is promoted to run the household. He gets thrown in jail, where he interprets dreams, allowing him to decipher the Pharaoh’s dreams, which leads to him to becoming wealthy. This story has been reimagined as a musical which makes it different and new, adding a twist to this biblical story.

While looking for a cast, Ben Tebbe, director of Marian University Theatre, considered where they fit to best tell the story.

“When casting a musical we look at a number of factors. We must listen to the actors sing and see how they dance,” Tebbe said.
Julia Yagodinski, a senior and choir student, auditioned for the show.

“I was super excited when I heard it was Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat,” she said. “Because it is such a fun bright show and has so much action going on at all times.”

She also felt a bit scared to go out for the role.

“I was super nervous to audition,” she said. “Being a ‘big-and-bad’ senior from a small town drama program to becoming a freshman without any idea of how to handle it is scary. I haven’t had nerves like that in a while!”

In addition, Emily Parsons, a freshman at Marian, auditioned and got the part of Dan, one of Joseph’s brothers.

“I think the community also is great, that is part of what keeps me going,” Parsons said.

When asked what the musical means to him, Tebbe said the musical is a lot of fun, and it is fun for the whole family. He also said that it is a very popular show.

“It is also the theatre program’s contribution to the campus-wide theme this year. It seemed timely to choose a biblical story while hosting the St. John’s Bible on campus,” he said.

Tickets are free for students, and the public pays a small fee. They can be purchased online at

muknights.universitytickets.com