My Favorite Places at Marian

Bella Simons

Throughout my time at Marian, I have found several places that I enjoy hanging out in that have shaped me as a student and as a person. In these places, I have hung out with friends, talked to God, and grown.

The EcoLab

I was first introduced to the EcoLab by a friend during my sophomore year. When I found out that there was a forest on campus, I was surprised. I had never come across it in my time at Marian.

My friend, Yvette, took me there and, when I entered, I felt immersed in this fairytale land: it was an incredibly green landscape, with grass and trees. All at once, I felt like a kid again, exploring the woods behind my house.

At the EcoLab, we saw the waterfall, walked along the river, and explored the old building there. On that day, I felt at peace, amongst nature. I will never forget that day and the adventures with my friend.

EcoLab Photo 1.jpg

Then, during my junior year, I took Environmental Science.  Our class took trips to the EcoLab every day, categorizing leaves, inspecting soil, and identifying plants.  I got to know more about the science of the EcoLab during class, and what makes it special.  It made me happy, as my class and I got to explore nature here on campus.  Everyday felt like an adventure.

__________

The Japanese Garden

Since my freshman year, I have always loved the Japanese Garden for its serene atmosphere. Often, I go there to sit on the benches, and read, or just get lost in thought. It is a lovely spot to enjoy nature, and take time to think. I always pass through on my way to class at the Evans Center, as it makes me feel relaxed and peaceful. When I enter the Japanese Garden, I see the beauty of God’s creation: all the flowers, trees, and rocks make me feel connected to Him. Whenever I am there, I think of Psalm 33:5 The LORD loves righteousness and justice; the earth is full of his unfailing love.

__________

Alumni Hall

Alumni Hall is a great place to hang out with friends, get coffee, and try different foods at the Food Court.  This has always been my favorite building on campus because of the high ceiling, windows, and comfy chairs.  I love going there, working on homework, and dining in the food court.  On warm days, I enjoy sitting outside and enjoying the breeze.

__________

The Colonnade

I love hanging out there, especially during spring, when the flowers and plants make it come alive. Every now and then, I’ll take my Subway sandwich, and sit out there, looking at the EcoLab and the beautiful nature. I will go there to pray, do a bible study, and spend time with God. The Colonnade makes me present and enjoy the moment.

__________

The truth is, it isn’t the places that make Marian special; it’s the people.  Here, I have met incredible friends and made bonds with people that will last much longer than my four years at Marian.  I have met some of my closest friends here, and that’s what I love most about Marian:  the people that I’ve met.  They are kind, funny, caring, and at times, obnoxious, and I wouldn’t trade them for anyone.