Phoenix

The Student News Site of Marian University

Phoenix

Phoenix

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Exploring Boundaries: Marian University’s Harlaxton Study Abroad Program

The+York+Minster+with+the+new+statue+of+QEII+to+the+right.+
Macey Kenna
The York Minster with the new statue of QEII to the right.

Embarking on a journey of cultural exploration opens doors for insights and personal growth, breaking the boundaries of classrooms and textbooks. At Marian University, the Harlaxton Study Abroad Program offers students unparalleled opportunities to immerse themselves in the vibrant tapestry of global experiences.

The Harlaxton Study Abroad Program offers Marian University students a gateway to cultural exploration and academic enrichment. Through firsthand experiences and extensive learning opportunities, students gain insights into global perspectives and create connections with their peers.

Reflecting on her May 2023 expedition, senior Olivia Brown shares moments of personal revelation and cultural immersion. “My favorite moment of the trip was exploring London independently,” she said. Having freedom beyond the scheduled itinerary to explore independently was a highlight of the trip for her. Brown was able to attend a rugby 7s tournament and visit friends from the city. A cultural shock for her was the formality of fashion and the informal aspect of after-working hours. “The neighborhood pub is everyone’s living space, so they are busy every evening making the individual community closer,” said Brown. 

Similarly, Tony Fleming’s decision to study abroad was driven by the alignment of global experience and academic pursuits. “The Harlaxton experience was the perfect fit,” he said. The program’s focus on England, extensive group activities, and humanities credit is what promoted Fleming to be involved. Having previously explored Europe during a World War II-focused trip in high school, he recognized the invaluable insights gained from immersive learning experiences. His favorite memories of the trip were the class sessions and debriefs that Dr. Skillman and Dr. Larner prepared. During these discussions, students would discuss what they had learned that day. After exploring Nottingham and learning about Robin Hood and the penal system, the groups were tasked with writing a story that captured what they learned. “My group went a little beyond that and not only created a story, but performed a skit. It was a lot of laughs and applied the knowledge well,” said Fleming. 

As students reflect on their adventures abroad, they carry with them not only academic credits but also a wealth of experiences that shape their understanding of the world. From independent exploration to engaging discussions, the Harlaxton experience embodies the spirit of discovery and personal growth.

For those considering a journey abroad, Marian University’s Harlaxton Program stands as a beacon of opportunity, offering a transformative adventure that extends far beyond the classroom.