Phoenix

The Student News Site of Marian University

Phoenix

Phoenix

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Safety and City Life at Marian University in Indianapolis

Macey Kenna
A view of Monument Circle in Downtown Indianapolis.

For prospective students considering  attending Marian University in Indianapolis, Indiana, safety often ranks high on the list of concerns. While Indianapolis may not top national safety rankings, Marian University implements proactive measures to foster a secure campus environment. There are many advantages and disadvantages to living in the city while attending Marian University.

Marian prioritizes campus safety through its dedicated police force of certified officers who patrol grounds, dorms, and parking lots 24/7. These officers hold full law enforcement powers and are trained to respond swiftly to emergencies. Strategic security cameras deter crime and aid investigations, while well-lit pathways and controlled building access further enhance security. Students receive timely notifications and instructions via text, email, and the app campus shield in case of emergencies or suspicious activity. Additionally, Marian actively promotes safety awareness through workshops, educational materials, and community engagement initiatives, empowering students to be proactive participants in their own safety. More information about safety precautions can be found at the Marian University Campus Safety page. 

Living in Indianapolis offers several advantages for college students. The city brims with a thriving arts and culture scene, featuring museums, theaters, and music venues that provide ample entertainment options. Compared to major cities, Indianapolis boasts a lower cost of living, making it easier for students to manage their budgets. Food lovers rejoice as the city boasts a diverse food scene, ranging from local eateries to international cuisine catering to various tastes and dietary preferences. “Indianapolis and its surrounding suburbs have a variety of inexpensive activities for college students,” said junior Bailey Jones. “I want to continue to live near the city and teach here after graduation,” said Jones. Aspiring professionals benefit from career opportunities in various sectors, thanks to Indianapolis’ status as a state capital and economic hub. Indianapolis is on the path to becoming the Silicon Valley of the Midwest according to Intrepid

However, it’s essential to acknowledge Indianapolis’ higher crime rates. While they have decreased in recent years, they remain above the national average. According to the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting data, Indianapolis saw 18.8 violent crimes per 1,000 residents in 2022, compared to the national average of 13.9. Exercising caution, especially at night, is crucial. Limited public transportation could pose a challenge, demanding some planning and potentially requiring car ownership or utilizing ride-sharing services. Additionally, Marian’s location on the outskirts of the city center means accessing certain amenities might require more time and transportation. Junior Katharina Bopst is an international student from Germany who had safety concerns about the United States and Indianapolis. “I talked to my Marian tennis coach before I committed about safety. He assured me that Marian’s campus was safe, and Indianapolis in comparison to other cities in the US. I believe that the campus is very safe and that Marian does a good job at informing and preparing students for safety,” said Bopst. 

Ultimately, the decision to attend Marian University in Indianapolis hinges on individual comfort level and risk tolerance. Weighing the pros and cons of city life and researching specific neighborhoods near campus can help you make an informed choice. Utilizing resources like Marian’s safety website, city crime data, and best neighborhood listings can provide valuable insights.

Remember, safety is a shared responsibility. Familiarize yourself with campus resources, stay informed about your surroundings, and practice common-sense precautions like being aware of your environment, traveling with others at night, and utilizing well-lit pathways. By taking these steps, you can maximize your safety and enjoy the unique experience of college life at Marian University and in Indianapolis.