Phoenix

The Student News Site of Marian University

Phoenix

Phoenix

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Godspell Graces MU’s Stage

Lizzie Schmidt
The Cast of Godspell performing during opening weekend.

On March 21-24, The Marian University Theatre Program produced a musical called, “Godspell.” The musical was held in The Marian Theatre. Marian University’s students made up the cast, showcasing their acting and singing skills.

Godspell is a musical about famous or well-known parables from the Bible. At the time of production, MU was participating in the Lenten season, to which this Play greatly contributed. Tickets were available to purchase, however, MU students, faculty and staff had free admission. In this play, the characters were showcasing their emotions and conversations through song and dance. 

“In the rehearsal process, the actors were told to think of it as more like they’re playing themselves and then stepping into their character,” said Jada Rashford, who played Uzoh, “Whenever they referred to characters on stage, they used each other’s real names.”

The storyline play is to showcases the world through Jesus’ eyes and life. The topic of the play is conventionally heavy, so the play remains entertaining through comedic relief.

The cast put in a great deal of work to prepare for this play, and spent a lot of time and energy doing it. They spent up to 20-25 hours per week rehearsing. Some cast members were used to working on plays, while others were brand new to the scene.

“Acting in a play was something I had always wanted to do,” said Maria Mina, another actress,”I never had time to do it, and i’m glad I tried it.”

The cast wanted to show the community they built with each other on stage. During the early days of the rehearsal process, the cast did movement exercises to connect with their characters.

Rashford expressed that the relationship between the cast was very good, and they got along very well, “we are all like best friends.”

“It is hard to understand the impact of the crucifixion and what happened on the cross, but being in this show is such a beautiful reminder of what that event means, and what it meant, and how it provides our salvation,” said Rashford.

There were a lot of props on stage, such as wedges with wheels and guitars, etc. There were some instances where one of the locks or levers broke, but the cast held it together professionally. 

“Sometimes things broke,” Said lead actor, Simon Collins, “You just have to roll with it and improvise.”

Safety is very important during live plays; hence, the cast were prepared for any obstacles coming their way.

The show had a great turnout, and MU theater looks forward to producing more plays in years to come.