Phoenix

The Student News Site of Marian University

Phoenix

Phoenix

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Moon Harvest Festival Celebrated at MU

Abby Titara
Senior Mang Tin Par decorating a lantern.

The Asian Student Association hosted their Mid-Autumn Festival in the Unity Center on Oct. 3. After students filled their plates with white rice, chicken and vegetable stir fry, the committee played a video describing the festival’s history. 

The Mid-Autumn Festival or Moon Festival, celebrates Chang’e—the Moon goddess in Chinese culture—and giving thanks for the things we are grateful for and the gathering of family, friends, and—traditionally—crops as well. 

“Most of our events surround Asian holidays and festivals so that we can introduce students to different cultures,” said Mang Tin, senior in elementary education and member of the Asian Student Association. 

Today’s festivities included authentic traditional Asian food, drinks, the festival’s origin video, a lantern decorating competition, and an act of gratitude. To show thanks today the Asian Student Association instructed participants on what to add in each care package. Each gift bag received a mooncake, travel-size lotion, eye mask, and letter of appreciation. 

“There’s been an improvement in interaction from students today. It’s been great to see they’re actually participating in the activities,” Par said.

After the care packages were assembled, everyone grabbed a few and handed them to the staff around the Dining Commons. Later, students were handed a lantern to color with colored pencils and three people won the competition for best decorated.