Phoenix

The Student News Site of Marian University

Phoenix

Phoenix

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Carnival Celebration in the Unity Center

Students+decorating+their+DIY+masks+in+celebration+of+Carnival.+
Abby Titara
Students decorating their DIY masks in celebration of Carnival.

Carnival was co-hosted by the International Student Organization (ISO) and Asian Student Association (ASA) in the Unity Center on Feb. 29 from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. 

ISO and ASA began celebrating the event by playing a variety of festival music to get the party started. They provided a food table with different types of candies and drinks to represent Asian, Hispanic, and American cultures. 

Throughout the event, there was a craft table set up with glitter glue, feathers, paint, and markers in order for the students to decorate the masks they were provided. The DIY mask opportunity was a connection to all the big Carnivals across the world that implement intricate and elaborate masks or head pieces into their festivals like the Carnival in Rio de Janeiro.

“This [ISO] is a new club and we wanted to celebrate Carnival by collaborating with the Asian Student Association to bring this international event to Marian,” said President of ISO and freshman in Computer Science Silvan Ulm. 

Across the world different Carnivals celebrate many things: the beginning of Lent, history, cultural traditions, and community building. Here at Marian, ISO and ASA brought a taste of Carnival to students in order to celebrate different cultures, good food, and new friends.