Phoenix

The Student News Site of Marian University

Phoenix

Phoenix

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

How MU Celebrated Hispanic Heritage in October

Gitzeel Morales
Students around campus celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month

The Student organization of Latinos hosted and collaborated with different clubs across campus to celebrate Hispanic Heritage month. Many different cultures were able to come together and learn about hispanic culture. 

Organizing the Fransican Heritage Fountain, or dying the fountain orange, was hosted by Latino Leadership Initiative and SOL. This was the kick off for the month-long celebration for the Marian University community to come together. During this event, they were able to share history, listen to native music, and enjoy Paco Tacos donated to students for free. 

“I am able to embrace my roots and begin to be able to have the opportunity to share my roots here at Marian. They provided a space where people find a place of belonging on campus” senior studio art major and President of SOL, Daniela Ochoa said.

An event on campus, “Talk it out Tuesday,” with the Unity Center titled its event, “Latino Enough,” for this celebration. The goal of this event was to embrace the struggles of what hispanic students go through as not fitting in.

SOL also collaborated with the Marian University 21st Century scholar program to honor the month by hosting a “cookie and canvas” activity. Students in attendance painted cubism portraits. 

The Dining Commons also continued the celebration by offering traditional dishes every Friday, with many different plates honoring a specific country.

“It was  really fun seeing other people getting to know our culture and learning some dance moves,” Said senior public health major, Mariangel Morales. “It was very exciting.” 

To end the celebration, “Festa Latina” was hosted. The final celebration offered food, music, games, and more to the Marian Community.